It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Sportsnet - Flames Rule, Oilers Drool
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:52 pm 
Serious Cat

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flam ... irections/

Quote:
Calgary was one point out of first place in the tough Western Conference heading into play Wednesday, while Edmonton is nestled into its annual hibernation den, dead last in the Conference. If they ever get around to putting advertising on NHL uniforms, Lotto 6/49 has dibs on the Oilers.

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

Post subject: Re: Sportsnet - Flames Rule, Oilers Drool
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:20 pm 
Serious Cat

Also this:

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 pm 
teh_kiddo

Nice to feel superior, but I'm going to hold off on gloating for the time being. We haven't done anything yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 am 
sassy molassy

Well, they have completely blown expectations out of the water considering most 'experts' were picking them to be fighting for last in the West.

At this point it's just sad what the Oilers have done. The Pens and Chicago took high draft picks and turned them into championships. The Oilers had how many top 5 draft picks and they're still basement dwelling.

That organization needs a complete and total overhaul starting with the front office.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm 
teh_kiddo

Part of their problem is just bad luck and bad timing. They had the 1st overall pick three shitty years in a row, and they took the consensus best available player every time. If they were to go back and redo those picks, the only change they might make is taking Seguin instead of Hall.

Had they had the top picks in 2007-2009 instead of 2010-2012, they could have Patrick Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares. Management has been a problem, but they'd certainly have more to work with if they had those three instead of Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:04 pm 
sassy molassy

Very valid point.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:39 pm 
Serious Cat

Thing is - Oilers coaches were directed to play the young guys "whatever the cost" by Kevin Lowe. Well the cost may have been good player development.

I'd still take Hall over Seguin, and Nuge over Landeskog or Huberdeau. IMO one of their draft mistakes was Yakupov over Murray and I thought they should have traded down to #2 and/or taken Murray instead.

Their other problem is pretty much zero success in any picks outside of the first round in the last 7 years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:34 pm 
teh_kiddo

They've had a variety of issues for sure. From an outsider's perspective, it looks like they've got a deeply ingrained "we're rebuilding, so it's okay to lose" mentality going on, and they've fooled themselves into thinking that you can just flip a switch and turn that off when you think you've stocked up enough draft picks.

I just think they've also had some rotten luck. Just focusing on their 1st overall picks, on the one hand, it looks like Nuge and Yakupov could have used a little more time to develop before being thrown into the NHL. But on the other hand, if they'd drafted Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares, the player development issue wouldn't even come into play as all three were pretty much NHL ready when they were drafted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 pm 
Scurvy Dog

Short handed for no reason. The fix is in. Team tanking on purpose for McDavid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:58 am 
Dances with stretch denim

If the Oilers were playing near top of their potential and still failing, you could point the finger at poor/unlucky draft years etc.,but they are losing because of poor execution of fundamental NHL hockey skills. Defensive awareness, poor line changes, not knowing you're playing one man short for no reason? That is on the leadership/coaching and is compounded by the failure of management to hire a legitimate starting goaltender. They would be no worse off if Dubnyk was still in net possibly and I think certainly better if Kruger was still on the bench. Their defense looks bad but I think that's a reflection of how shitty the coaching is. Their centers could play better too. Until you see them at their best, it's pointless to point fingers at any positional needs other than goal.

As much as Lowe appears to be a bumbling, elitist bully with a sense of entitlement, it is McTavish who decided to put his stamp on the team by signing two backup goalies to defend the net and putting the team's back against the wall by firing a perfectly good coach who was starting to get results and replacing him with an unproven Eakins who could not be easily fired if things went bad. And they have gone very bad. These are inexcusable blunders in a seasonal that had zero room for any mistakes. Lowe did hire Mac T, so there's that too.

I genuinely feel kind of bad for the Oilers, to the point that it's no longer fulfilling and joyous to ridicule their perpetual state of failure, like the olden days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 pm 
Serious Cat

I saw one graphic that showed the GF/GA ratio - and it was the best under Kruger.

Under Eakins its the worst ratio.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:05 pm 
teh_kiddo

Eakins is probably part of the problem - who isn't, at this point - but I'm inclined to downplay his culpability. He did some great things with the Marlies in the AHL, and he was seen as the obvious choice to replace Ron Wilson in Toronto before they grabbed Carlyle. I think he's a good coach, but for one reason or another it's just not working with this bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 pm 
Dances with stretch denim

It could be because he's in the big league now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:56 pm 
Serious Cat

Found this appropriate nugget of info on HFBoards.

2007:

Kevin Lowe - General Manager

Craig MacTavish - Head Coach

Scott Howson - Assistant General Manager

2014:

Kevin Lowe - President of Hockey Operations

Craig MacTavish - General Manager

Scott Howson - Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:27 pm 
Scurvy Dog

Incest is best. What a failure.