It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: ***THE OFFICIAL ARMCHAIR GM THREAD***
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 am 
Serious Cat

Alright. The Flames are done this season. Hopefully Sutter and his staff are fired at the end of game #82 so a new staff can be put in place prior to the draft. Also, I'd like to see Feaster get a better hockey mind advising him other than a Sutter before the draft / free agency begins.

Going into next season, without signing free agents, the Flames roster looks something like this:

FORWARDS
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Matthew Stajan ($3.500m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Sven Baertschi ($1.456m)
Roman Horak ($0.800m) / Mikael Backlund ($0.827m) / Greg Nemisz ($1.046m)
Lance Bouma ($0.693m) / Blair Jones ($0.578m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Paul Byron ($0.627m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Chris Butler ($1.250m)
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Derek Smith ($0.775m)
Anton Babchuk ($2.500m) / T.J. Brodie ($0.742m)
Clay Wilson ($0.525m)

GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m)
Leland Irving ($0.660m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,174,290; BONUSES: $1,181,250
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,125,710

(Karlsson sent to Abbotsford/Europe/traded/pushed into the Bow)

A few things immediately pop into mind:
1. The Flames don't have any centre depth.
2. The Flames have a lot of guys who play LW - like, the entire 2nd line.

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

Last edited by Ron Swanson on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 am 
Serious Cat

The UFAs that I would consider targets:
(name, pos, 2012 cap)

Alex Semin, RW, $6.7 million (not sure if want)
Zach Parise, LW, $6 million (we'd need to trade someone to make room, or keep Squid at centre)
Dustin Penner, LW, $4.25 million (only as a project for <$2 million)

Dennis Wideman, D, $3.9 million
Ryan Suter, D, $3.5 million
Matt Carle, D, $3.4 million

The forwards are kind of gross - mostly because the good players are all LW, which we have enough of, and also there are no decent centres available, but I like that there are several good defensemen. Calgary should go after all three, IMO.

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am 
Serious Cat

Actually, I forgot about Stoll. I might consider him even though he gave the Flames the finger after drafting him the first time, but he could have a Langkow-type impact on the team and see around 60 points again between Iginla and Cammalleri/Tanguay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:03 am 
teh_kiddo

Isn't Sutter's contract up at the end of the season anyhow? No need to fire him if that's the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 am 
sassy molassy

s3c0ndh4nd wrote:
Isn't Sutter's contract up at the end of the season anyhow? No need to fire him if that's the case.

It's up 3 years from when he signed it. Maher said that was 'sometime in the summer' this morning.

So hopefully they'd let him know asap so we can get someone new in and he can look for a new place to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:32 am 
Serious Cat

s3c0ndh4nd wrote:

Yeah, I just don't want his influence on the team any longer than needed. I'd really like to see him fired now but that's kind of pointless and petty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 am 
Asshole

ok, my turn to wow you with my awesomeness

Personnel Changes
- Coaching Changes: Brent Sutter, Craig Hartsburg & Dave Lowry will not be returning next season
- Coaching Hires: Joe Mullen (Head Coach - Calgary Flames), Bob Boughner (Associate Coach - Calgary Flames), John Hynes (Assistant Coach - Calgary Flames), Joel Otto (Faceoffs Coach - Calgary Flames), Stephane Yelle (Faceoffs Coach - Abbotsford Heat)
- Scouting Changes: Tod Button (Director of Amateur Scouting), Bob MacMillan (QMJHL Scout), Tom Webster (OHL Scout), Fred Parker (OHL/QMJHL Scout) & Richie Thibeau (Maritimes) are no longer employed by the Calgary Flames
- Scouting Hires: Jason Bukala (Director of Amateur Scouting), Peter Loubardias (OHL Scout), in addition to Bukala and Loubo I would hire 1 more OHL scout and 2 QMJHL scouts
- Front Office Changes: Michael Holditch (Senior Vice President & Assistant GM) & Mike Howe (Director of Hockey Administration) will not be returning next season. Replacements would be announced at the same time

Free Agents to retain
- Olli Jokinen: 5 year contract with a $3 million cap hit
- Leland Irving: 2 year contract with a $0.875 million cap hit
- Paul Byron: 1 year contract with a $600,000 cap hit - 2way contract
- Blair Jones: 1 year contract with a $600,000 cap hit
- Guillaume Desbiens: 1 year contract with a $525,000 cap hit

Trades
- Mark Giordano & Mikael Backlund to the Avalanche for Paul Stastny
- Miikka Kiprusoff, Brett Carson and a 1st in 2012 to the Maple Leafs for Joe Colborne, Mike Komisarek and a 1st in 2012

Free Agents to sign
- Dennis Wideman: 6 year contract with a $4.5 million cap hit
- Niklas Grossmann: 6 year contract with a $3.75 million cap hit
- Jordin Tootoo: 2 year contract with a $2.5 million cap hit
- Tomas Vokoun: 1 year contract with a $2.75 million cap hit
- Jamal Mayers: 1 year contract with a $0.63 cap hit

Line-ups

Flames:

Tanguay $3,500,000 - Stastny $6,600,000 - Iginla $7,000,000
Cammalleri $6,000,000 - Jokinen $3,000,000 - Glencross $2,550,000
Beartschi $1,456,250 - Stajan $3,500,000 - Tootoo $2,500,000
Bouma $693,333 - Mayers $630,000 - Jackman $612,500
Desbiens $525,000 - Jones $600,000

Bouwmeester $6,680,000 - Grossmann $3,750,000
Butler $1,250,000 - Wideman $4,500,000
Brodie $741,666 - Komisarek $4,500,000
Smith $775,000

Vokoun $2,750,000 - Irving $875,000

Heat:

Byron - Colborne - Nemisz
Howse - Horak - Kolanos
Ferland - Reinhart - Walter
Eddy - Laing - Rheault
Bancks - Patterson - Elson

Wilson - Piskula
Breen - Lamb
Leach - Martin

Karlsson - Ortio

I'd have 4+ million in cap space

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 pm 
Serious Cat

Luna my comments:

You'd need to hire a translator for Joe Mullen - easily the thickest and most awesome accent ever. :lol: Also, loving the idea of Loubardias as a scout.

I'm okay with keeping Jokinen around, my issue is his complete disappearance on the ice in the last two weeks or so. Perhaps he is playing injured (he looked like he was labouring to get to the bench on a few shifts I saw) or he's had too many burgers and is out of shape. If its the former, I'm good with a contract extension.

I was thinking the Avalanche might want more for Stastny, then I saw his cap hit vs. production. We might have to send another piece (and get something else back from the Avs) but I think the nucleus of a deal is there. I'd be worried they'd want Bouwmeester though.

Toronto may bite on the Kiprusoff trade without the 1sts being involved. Not sure they'd do it to trade down three spots or whatever it winds up being - out of the top 10. Then again, depends what MLSE demands of Burke, they might be tired of the rebuild already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:12 pm 
Asshole

Stewie Griffin wrote:
Luna my comments:

You'd need to hire a translator for Joe Mullen - easily the thickest and most awesome accent ever. :lol: Also, loving the idea of Loubardias as a scout.

I'm okay with keeping Jokinen around, my issue is his complete disappearance on the ice in the last two weeks or so. Perhaps he is playing injured (he looked like he was labouring to get to the bench on a few shifts I saw) or he's had too many burgers and is out of shape. If its the former, I'm good with a contract extension.

I was thinking the Avalanche might want more for Stastny, then I saw his cap hit vs. production. We might have to send another piece (and get something else back from the Avs) but I think the nucleus of a deal is there. I'd be worried they'd want Bouwmeester though.

Toronto may bite on the Kiprusoff trade without the 1sts being involved. Not sure they'd do it to trade down three spots or whatever it winds up being - out of the top 10. Then again, depends what MLSE demands of Burke, they might be tired of the rebuild already...
I posted both proposals on HF, the Leafs one only had 1 leafs fan comment and he was one of those "aging goaltender" idiots. The Avs one an actual not stupid Avs fan said at the very least the Avs would have to look at that offer long and hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:18 pm 
Scurvy Dog

Joey Mullen as head coach woud be interesting, as would having Joel Otto on staff. In fact, would be killer having members from the winning team filling coaching staff roles for sure. The only downside would be the potential for them to suck, then our heroes of old would be thrown under the bus, and that's no good.

But I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm 
Asshole

Drak wrote:
Joey Mullen as head coach woud be interesting, as would having Joel Otto on staff. In fact, would be killer having members from the winning team filling coaching staff roles for sure. The only downside would be the potential for them to suck, then our heroes of old would be thrown under the bus, and that's no good.

But I like it.
Mullen has the resume, he is in year 2 or 3 as an assistant in Philly, spent a few more as an assistant in Pittsburgh and was head coach of the Pens farm club for a bit and they excelled under him.

i would also use nepotism to get my way if i could. i would hire uncle Gary (not as head coach) if it meant it helped our chances to get Ryan on July 1st

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:11 pm 
Scurvy Dog

You should send these ideas over to Ken King.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 pm 
Map Geek

Komisarek? no, no, a thousand times no.

I LOVED the guy when he was in Montreal, right up until he got his ass handed to him by Lucic.

Now he isn't even close to the same player that I was cheering for. To say he is a shadow of his former self would be insulting to shadows... simply put he's damaged goods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm 
Asshole

fantastapotamus wrote:
Komisarek? no, no, a thousand times no.

I LOVED the guy when he was in Montreal, right up until he got his ass handed to him by Lucic.

Now he isn't even close to the same player that I was cheering for. To say he is a shadow of his former self would be insulting to shadows... simply put he's damaged goods.
He's a salary dump that can fill a role on the bottom pairing, that's all. He is only included because of the cap. The important parts are moving up to 5th overall and getting Colborne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 pm 
Serious Cat

How about something like Kipper to Chicago for Crawford, Clendening, 3rd?

Crawford can split duties with Irving, and Karlsson can go do whatever he wants.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next