It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2015
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:08 am 
Dances with stretch denim

Ron Swanson wrote:
Do the conservatives get first overall pick now?

That's a good one!

Craig Oliver must be closing in on 80. What's that crazy old bastage even doing with a microphone in his hand on national television? He probably has a daily rant about lumps in his pancake batter too.
For that matter, Lisa Laflamme is a national news anchor? Really?

CTV? Raise the fucking bar!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:09 am 
Scurvy Dog

freakofnature wrote:
We had to fix Canada by getting rid of the Conservatives. In 5-10 years we'll be doing the same thing to the Liberals. It's a never ending cycle.

We need reform.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:32 pm 
Serious Cat

Drak wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Also for the amount of chastising that the Liberals have done about governing with fear, most of the fear mongering I've heard over the past three months has come from Trudeau's (or NDP) supporters.

I just about lost it when that reporter on CTV went on his anti-Harper rant.

Really? I've had quite the opposite experience. Albeit Mulcair has been negative, the Conservatives ran a very negative campaign and with all their fear mongering about terrorists and Islam, creating divisiveness among-st Canadians and treating immigrants like second class citizens. Good riddance.

Not from anyone with official ties to the campaign, just their supporters.

Statements like the one you made, in fact, but multiplied by a thousand.

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:45 pm 
Scurvy Dog

Ron Swanson wrote:
Drak wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Also for the amount of chastising that the Liberals have done about governing with fear, most of the fear mongering I've heard over the past three months has come from Trudeau's (or NDP) supporters.

I just about lost it when that reporter on CTV went on his anti-Harper rant.

Really? I've had quite the opposite experience. Albeit Mulcair has been negative, the Conservatives ran a very negative campaign and with all their fear mongering about terrorists and Islam, creating divisiveness among-st Canadians and treating immigrants like second class citizens. Good riddance.

Not from anyone with official ties to the campaign, just their supporters.

Statements like the one you made, in fact, but multiplied by a thousand.

Really?
We have the entire niqab incident. Then there's breeding fear and suspicion by reporting your immigrant neighbors for barbaric cultural practices incident. The anti terrorism ISIS is gunna get us propaganda. That stems from Harper - it isn't made up. All of this stuff breeds a second class citizen mentality. The base gets frothy and supports that stuff for a reason.

Here's another example Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:09 pm 
Serious Cat

Hey I won't disagree, those pamphlets are fucked up. I voted for the Greens, and I'm not unhappy Trudeau won.

But... "barbaric cultural practices" (basically assault against women) should be ignored? Shouldn't be reported to police? Although the most unfortunate wording ever, I disagree. Fuck those guys. Otherwise country hicks from the deep south of the USA wearing a "wife beater" flying a confederate flag and driving a 1981 Thunderbird (or pickup truck) should be allowed to get drunk on Bud Light Lime and beat up his wife as the mood suits him.

Immigration increased under Harper, even if it was a bunch of (white) temporary workers from England & Australia. ;)

Problem is every little thing he did is skewed out of proportion, was one-sided, and was basically just used as confirmation bias that Harper was basically no better than Hitler and should die in a fire. And the meltdown/hysteria/giddyness on social media is full on freakout mode in that regard right now - on both sides. All of the extremists have gone full retard.

Frankly most of the Cons social positions don't mesh with mine. Economically, they do, most of the time. This time though and maybe because I've aged but I think a government deficit during a recession is a good thing - the government should be spending in the bad times, and saving during the good times. It makes no sense whatever in competing with private sector for staff/material/resources.

TL:DR

We can celebrate the Green government majority in 2043. [smilie=chongin.gif]

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:39 pm 
teh_kiddo

That's kind of a short history of politics for countries. Completely natural and normal to want change every 5-10 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:40 pm 
Scurvy Dog

If someone is being assaulted, of course it should be reported to the police. That's what the police are for and generally people know when and how to call if needed. We don't need a special RCMP hotline set up targeting Muslims though - that's the problem - it's not so veiled targeting of a culture, and purposely promotes divisiveness to "tell on your culturally different neighbor" as opposed to a Canadian committing a wrong.

Contrary to what some people believe, not all Muslim men beat and assault their wives. I don't agree with the subjugation of women and what they're supposed to wear - in fact I despise all religions - but it's a slippery slope enforcing my beliefs on others when it comes to that and their cultural beliefs.