It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A Lunatik Christmas Feast...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:13 am 
Asshole

Alright ladies, gentlemen and Drak. I have decided to cook a Christmas feast for the first time in my life. I have been scouring different recipes and shit like that because I do not want it to be like Christmas dinner my parents always made.

So I have decided that go big or go home is going to be my strategy. The only thing I am cooking that I have done before is my garlic and cheddar mashed potatoes.

This is also a way to test myself, as I am contemplating applying to culinary school.

So far I have decided to do the following...

Appetizer:

Bacon & Cheddar Stuffed Mushrooms
- It is what it sounds like.

Main Course:

A German Turkey
- You stuff the turkey with onion, carrots, celery, a whole apple and a whole orange (the apples and orange have holes poked in them for flavor to escape into the turkey). You also bake with a layer of bacon on the top of the turkey.

"Classic" Stuffing
- A stuffing not cooked in the turkey, you mix onions, celery, sage, parsley, egg, bread (I may use croutons instead of drying and toasting the bread myself since this will be a big project) and chicken broth. Then you bake it.

Lunatik Mashed Potatoes
- My specialty. It is a garlic mashed potato with cheddar, sour cream and Cajun spices. However since my lame ass parents both have vagina mouths I will have to do some without the Cajun spices too.

Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots & Brussels Sprouts
- Baby carrots and Brussels sprouts glazed with brown sugar and pepper.

Whole Kernel Corn
- For those with simpler tastes.

Other Items:

Garlic & Parmesan Dinner Rolls
- Just like it sounds. Dinner rolls with parm baked inside (and on top), brushed with garlic butter.

Caesar Salad
- We all know it, most love it. I am going to make an egg free Caesar dressing (it lasts longer and eggs are really bad for my gout).

How does this sound to you guys? Assuming I fuck nothing up does it sound like a good dinner menu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am 
Serious Cat

You had me at bacon. Then lost me at brussel sprouts. Also, lots of garlic.

Also, you can buy dried bread cubes (and strips) for the stuffing at your local supermarket. No flavouring on these either which is good.

I also know of an interesting watermelon salad if you're interested. It's light and tasty. Basically just cubed watermelon, sliced red onion, olive oil/vinegar dressing (3:1) and crumbled feta (or other pungent) cheese.

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 pm 
Scurvy Dog

Looks good enough to eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:58 pm 
Playmaker

A German Turkey
- You stuff the turkey with onion, carrots, celery, a whole apple and a whole orange (the apples and orange have holes poked in them for flavor to escape into the turkey). You also bake with a layer of bacon on the top of the turkey.

That sounds very good, might have to steal that recipe and try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm 
Asshole

83trekker wrote:
A German Turkey

That sounds very good, might have to steal that recipe and try it out.
here is the link

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sherrys-ge ... etail.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:54 am 
Map Geek

Individually, it all sounds really good (with the same reservation as Stewie, garlic is not my friend).

I know the objective of most holiday meals is to go in to a food coma, but the heaviness / richness of each item combined in to one meal may be a bit over the top.

if this was my meal, I'd opt for a lighter salad option... possibly something with mandarin oranges (fresh, not canned) or dried cranberries and pecans, etc. all seasonally available. I find caesar to linger too much and if the dressing is mega garlic (which is very easy to do on homemade ones) it can f with the taste of stuff you eat afterwards.

turkey + bacon = win. and christmas without stuffing isn't a holiday I want to be a part of.

the potato dish is your signature, so obviously it stays.

ditch the corn, I'd throw some peas on there instead. still tame for those faint of heart, but it is a bit of variety instead of a steady starch parade (stuffing, potato, corn, rolls).

I'm also of the mind that if I am eating carrots, I should taste carrots. butter, salt, glaze, etc should serve as an accent to improve the taste... so I guess I'm saying a little goes a long way.

obviously this is my vision, and you know your target audience better than I do. just like if there isn't stuffing and apple salad on our table, I'm sure some people will raise a stink at yours if (fill in the blank) is missing...

and a final tip is to think of how it will look on the plate. if everything is sauced / covered in gravy I feel the food loses a bit of appeal. monotone = boring, so green peas, orange carrots, turkey, will look appealing. everything should work together, meaning you don't want a single dish that overpowers everything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:55 am 
Asshole

thanks for the tips, I never think of corn as a starch so that didn't cross my mind.

Caesar salad in my family is one that has to stay, unfortunately no option around it lol.

also the gf decided she gets a vote in what I make, so the brown sugar glazed carrots/brussels sprouts are out.

I could do peas but they are not something I am fond of, but it is quick and simple (same reason I picked corn) and I don't have to take them. Broccoli and Cauliflower are options too. Maybe fire up the grill and grill some red & green peppers for a christmasy look.

I also should do up a cranberry sauce as I know my dad, brother and sis in law love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:50 pm 
Dumbass

You lost me at mushrooms. I shall just make my own Christmas dinner. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:37 am 
Asshole

so today is judgement day

i have everything i need and i am going to rock the shit out of this dinner.

wish me luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:18 pm 
sassy molassy

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:01 pm 
Serious Cat

I hope it's a Festivus Miracle!

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:22 am 
Asshole

Thanks for the support, it turned out really well.

Turkey so juicy and tender, the legs literally were falling off.

I switched up a couple things, from my original plan as well, I made honey roasted carrots and even my sis in law who doesn't like carrots liked them.

I cooked some red & green peppers with onions so there was some "christmasy" looking food.

My potatoes were awesome, a little garlicy and smooth and creamy with not a lump to be found.

I did up a broccoli and cheese recipe as well, so good, just made too much lol.

The recipe for doing stuffing outside of the turkey was very good as well, although I will tweak it a bit next time. As I thought it could be a bit more moist.

I also managed to use up pretty much every dish in the girlfriends house.

All in all it turned out fantastic, no one got sick, everyone was stuffed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 am 
Serious Cat

That's awesome man.