It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Drak, Josh, Uncle Stew and Captain Cody's Skyrim/Game Th
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:58 pm 
teh_kiddo

I took a look at what happens when you hit the centre of the galaxy in NMS. Boy oh boy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:45 pm 
Serious Cat

Do you come across a creature that asks for carbon isotope then gets angry if you give him platinum instead?

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the "mine / upgrade / explore / mine / upgrade / explore" routine because the game is gorgeous, but the storyline is... lacking.

Patch 1.05 really helped with improving things (more pirates and space battle stuff which is extremely cool)

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:28 pm 
Serious Cat

I have somehow acquired a 10,000 unit bounty in NMS. That's kind of neat.

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:20 am 
Scurvy Dog

How's it holding up Stew? Too bad it got pounded so hard by reviewers. But with coming DLC it might be worth checking out down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:20 pm 
Serious Cat

What bugs me is those who hate it, are basically telling people who enjoy it that "you shouldn't be enjoying it for these reasons"

I enjoy the game but it's not like Skyrim or Fallout where when it first came out my every waking hour away from the game was spent thinking about the game. That said, once I'm immersed in it I find myself blowing through several hours without realizing it. Even if it's just running around a space station buying and selling dynamic resonators. I've also spent about 15 hours on the planet I'm currently on looking for the last creature discovery I need to get to 100%. I recently saw an awesome T-Rex type animal which was pretty sweet. Also found a planet where the sentinels were complete fuckwads and basically attacked me on sight if I just looked at one of the resources too long (some egg things that sold for $20k each but each one put you in 3 star wanted level) So I killed a lot of sentinels that day. Also saw the sentinel walker too, they'll fuck you up.

As a tech demo, it's fantastic, and that's underselling it IMO. I think in 5 years people will be pointing to NMS as "the first one" when discussing the next big revolutionary game experience. Imagine it re-skinned and the production / writing of Star Wars on a galaxy-wide scale, with a team of hundreds behind it. As a game I am underwhelmed, although I haven't been following the story totally as I get distracted by doing the exploring thing. There are things I'd like to see that would help improve the overall experience, but not required to have a good experience:

Ships:
- need to carry more junk, my suit carries twice as much as my ship, that doesn't make sense. Would like to buy ship upgrades, same as buying suit upgrades, rather than just upgrading my whole damn ship each time. Make them stupid expensive I don't care. It's already super expensive if I buy a NPC ship with one more slot than mine anyways, so now I have a ship that looks like garbage but it's slightly larger than my cool ship, so I took it.
- I'd like to name my ship. I can name the dick crabs that attack me, or random rocks, why not my ship?
- ship classes would be cool, I feel like that's either coming soon in a patch, or they're just not identified as such and it just isn't obvious

Economy:
- I was hoping for more of a player - to - player economy at trade terminals. I am disappoint. I think there's potential there to be somewhat interesting. Maybe like an auction-house style in WOW, I don't know.
- Trading with other NPC characters is annoying, and it's more a quality of life issue to have to wait for the dialog system to play out each time, in real time, while other ships come and go. Its about 60 seconds to buy the thing I need, and the dialog takes about 20 seconds of that time.
- It feels like an awkward and necessary evil right now, and a bit forced.
- I can't sell warp fuel, that pisses me off.
- It shows me stuff I can't sell because I don't own. Don't show me that, I don't care.

Factions
- I give no shits about any of them, as I have the highest standing possible after visiting their systems once each.
- They give no shits about me because pirates attack me at will without any repercussion
- Seriously though, 18 quadrillion planets and three sentient species? Four if you count the sentinels. Five if you count the travelers (your character's species)

Exploring
- awesome
- one minor peeve, is that the same damn shell looking rock on one planet exists on another planet, but it gets to be considered a "new discovery"
- I look forward to landing on someone else's discovered planet, that'd be neat.
- Map system sucks. No maps for planets suck more.

Other:
- I'd like to see what my character looks like. A very simple request.
- I'd like to see weekly challenges, to up the "game" portion of the content.
- Base building seems like a natural progression but finding your way back to your base, then back to unexplored worlds might be challenging given the unwieldy galactic map system.
- A map system for planets you are on, should be fairly simple if everything is procedural. I just don't want to keep going back to the same outpost I've already discovered.
- The ability to flag / filter / remove on-screen markers for stuff. If for no other reason than to clear the screen for screenshots.
- Would like to fly low enough to the surface to see animals, or to analyse them from my ship. Don't worry, I won't crash, I promise.

Things that people are bitching about that I give zero fucks over:
- No multiplayer. No fucks given. Last thing I want is to spend an hour mining and collecting shit on a planet (yes it could be literal shit, if you feed animals they shit out valuable resources) then getting ganked when leaving said planet.
- No communication from the developers. No shit, they've probably been locked in Sony's basement chained to their workstations working on stuff. I have a feeling that, based on how things have appeared in game after updates that some stuff was pared out for launch (because no more delays were acceptable) and they're slowly adding stuff back in.
- "promised" features being offered as DLC you'll have to buy. I really don't know what DLC they could legitimately charge for, and it would take significantly more than what I've listed here to make me buy it. Especially after getting fucked in the ass buying the season pass for Fallout 4 and getting only two real content add-ons. First time and last time I do that.
- AAA game price, indie game production. Sure that's probably a pisser for many. I haven't counted but I easily have 40 hours in the game and am not even close to finishing the "main questline" as I think I'm only five systems in, so for me, it will likely pass the $1 per hour threshold I usually want to get out of a game. I've got more play time out of this game than Mass Effect 3, as an example. I totally understand getting a refund on PC after 50 hours of playtime if your longest play session is 15 minutes.
- A lot of the other things people are bitching about were fixed or added in the latest patches.
- I know PC users have it hard, but it hasn't crashed once for me. That's why I own a console, better odds that I won't have some weird conflict that makes the game hard to use.

If you know what you're getting into, it's a worthwhile purchase. If you had inflated expectations due to hype and speculation, find a different game. If you're on the fence, then maybe wait until the price drops (and if sales continue to fall, it might drop sooner than later). It's definitely not for everyone but I don't think it ever was.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:27 pm 
teh_kiddo

Ron Swanson wrote:
As a tech demo, it's fantastic, and that's underselling it IMO. I think in 5 years people will be pointing to NMS as "the first one" when discussing the next big revolutionary game experience.

This I completely agree with. But I think the developers made some big mistakes in their emphasis of breadth over depth, and that's why it'll be remembered more for the disappointment than anything else.

The multiplayer thing bugs me because the developers certainly implied that p2p interaction was possible, if unlikely. The fact that you can't even see other players isn't really a big deal but it's the principle of the thing. If you don't want player expectations to get out of control, don't inflate them.

The only three sentient species thing bothers me too, especially since it seems that these guys have discovered the entire galaxy already. Hard to feel like an intrepid explorer when everyone's been here already.

The biggest bar to me ever buying this thing though is how repetitive it looks. I'm a JRPG player, so it takes a lot for me to think of a game as repetitive, but I shouldn't be doing the same shit in hour thirty of a game as I was doing in hour three. But the combat, the farming, the plot, the NPCs... none of it seems to change much as you pour in the hours.

I'm glad you're enjoying it Stew, and I'm certainly not one of those people who say "You shouldn't be enjoying this game." But equally it looks to me like the game deserves a good chunk of the flak it's getting, and I don't have any sympathy for the developers because they themselves created the hype that's leading to all the disappointment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:17 pm 
Official Board Redneck

So is it and God of War worth buying a PS4?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 am 
Serious Cat

Meh. I'm a PS guy, I didn't let games dictate the console just my own bias.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:48 pm 
Serious Cat

Time to load up Fallout 4 again. Also Nuka world.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:35 pm 
Scurvy Dog

I think I'll play fallout tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 pm 
Serious Cat

Guys?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 pm 
Official Board Redneck

Ron Swanson wrote:
Guys?

Work ya damn nag!

Hopefully it isn't based around Jack Marston.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 pm 
Official Board Redneck

I don't know why my post looks like that. All of my comments are outside of the quote boxes.

Whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:15 am 
Scurvy Dog

PSVR. That is all.

Also, too bad Red Dead 2 is a year away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:40 pm 
Official Board Redneck

I can wait a year for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next