It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Joni Ortio
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:28 pm 
Official Board Redneck

His confidence must be shot. Four goals in 13 minutes.

Post subject: Re: Joni Ortio
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:03 pm 
Asshole

Josh wrote:
Or more likely he's not a very good goaltender, he is a middle of the pack AHL goaltender. Ortio is ridiculously overrated and if this hurt his confidence he doesn't have what it takes to be an NHL goaltender.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:12 pm 
teh_kiddo

I say we name Gilles our Goalie of the Future, get real excited about him, and then throw him under the bus in 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:28 am 
Official Board Redneck

Lunatik wrote:
Josh wrote:
Or more likely he's not a very good goaltender, he is a middle of the pack AHL goaltender. Ortio is ridiculously overrated and if this hurt his confidence he doesn't have what it takes to be an NHL goaltender.

I don't agree that it's more likely he's a not very good goaltender. He played really well last season in the AHL, was named an AHL all-star, and played well during his stint in the NHL. I'm not saying he's got what it takes to be an NHL all-star but he's much better than what he's been this season, albeit a small sample size. I'm also not saying he's better (or going to be better) than what the Flames currently have in net.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:02 pm 
Asshole

Josh wrote:
Lunatik wrote:
Josh wrote:

I don't agree that it's more likely he's a not very good goaltender. He played really well last season in the AHL, was named an AHL all-star, and played well during his stint in the NHL. I'm not saying he's got what it takes to be an NHL all-star but he's much better than what he's been this season, albeit a small sample size. I'm also not saying he's better (or going to be better) than what the Flames currently have in net.
Lots of average players are named AHL all-stars. Ortio has poor rebound control and he couldn't find his net if he had GPS on the ice with him. I watch a ton of AHL games and Ortio is not that impressive, he is very similar to Leland Irving. Honestly Kevin Poulin is a better prospect for us than Ortio, he's just a year older, has more NHL experience (3x more) and is better both positionally and with rebound control.

Frankly the only reason Ortio is loved by Flames fans is because of the Kipper connection and because of that they're willing to drop to their knees and fellate him as long as they can.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 am 
Official Board Redneck

Lunatik wrote:
Lots of average players are named AHL all-stars. Ortio has poor rebound control and he couldn't find his net if he had GPS on the ice with him. I watch a ton of AHL games and Ortio is not that impressive, he is very similar to Leland Irving. Honestly Kevin Poulin is a better prospect for us than Ortio, he's just a year older, has more NHL experience (3x more) and is better both positionally and with rebound control.

Frankly the only reason Ortio is loved by Flames fans is because of the Kipper connection and because of that they're willing to drop to their knees and fellate him as long as they can.

Solid points, I haven't seen any AHL games but just looking at his numbers from last season and his place on the All-Star team, I just assumed he was doing pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:52 am 
Asshole

Josh wrote:
Lunatik wrote:

Solid points, I haven't seen any AHL games but just looking at his numbers from last season and his place on the All-Star team, I just assumed he was doing pretty well.

Numbers without comparing them to the rest of the league are pointless. People bitched about Mason McDonald's numbers last season, but he was top 5-10 in the league. They praise Ortio's but he was 35th in GAA and 31st in SV%. Poulin was tied in SV% and had a slightly worse GAA but was on the worst team in the Eastern Conference, while Adirondack was at least in sniffing distance of the playoffs. Ortio got the nod for the all-star game for no other reason than the ADK Flames went on a 9 game winning streak in November and another 5 gamer in December. Many credited Ortio for the winning streaks, but he has always been extremely overrated by Flames fans because they were hoping and praying he would be the next Kipper.