It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: #CalgaryNext - New Arena
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:22 pm 
sassy molassy

Are we talking about this already?

Details forthcoming today. Unfortunately I was way too busy at work to get away for the season ticket holder luncheon event today. Press conference airing at 2:30 on the FAN and streaming on Calgaryflames.com.

Quote:
CALGARY – The president of the Calgary Flames unveiled plans for a new sports complex, including an arena, in Calgary’s West Village on Tuesday afternoon. Ken King said it would take at least five years to complete and could cost up to $1.2 billion.

The “transformative project” will be called CalgaryNEXT, and will include a CFL-sized indoor field to be used by the Calgary Stampeders and the University of Calgary Dinos. The field house is pegged to cost $200 million. The proposed budget stands at $890 million, but could reach $1.2 billion if projects are built individually, according to CalgaryNEXT.
King said the arena has a “unique design not seen anywhere in the world” but would include a conventional upper and lower bowl.

Ken King sent an email to season ticket holders last week inviting them to an information session Tuesday, at which time the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation will unveil a “transformative project” called CalgaryNEXT.

Talk of a replacement for the aging Saddledome, which opened in 1983, has been circulating for years.

The arena is one of the oldest in the National Hockey League. Even Commissioner Gary Bettman said earlier this year he believed it was outdated and needed to be replaced.

“The Calgary Flames are an exemplary member of the National Hockey League and the NHL is excited to learn that Calgary is taking the next step toward the introduction of a state-of-the-art, multi-purpose facility for its community and professional sports teams,” Bettman said in a release Tuesday.

“While this is an extremely important initiative for the team, it is even more important for Calgary’s fans and the community.”

Meanwhile, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said Monday she is keeping an “open mind” when it comes to contributing provincial funds toward the construction of a new hockey arena in Calgary.

“I’m going to keep an open mind and look at what proposals come forward and we’ll go from there.”

The information session was held at 12 p.m. MT, with more details expected to be unveiled at a 2:30 p.m. news conference which Global Calgary will stream live online.

Post subject: Re: #CalgaryNext - New Arena
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:30 pm 
Serious Cat

Simply amazing that there's going to be no parking for the arena (like 1500 stalls)

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:39 pm 
sassy molassy

There is no parking in that area at all.

There is one road in, one road out. And Bow Trail/Crowchild is a frigging nightmare. I drive it every single day.
Nenshi will want the Flames to pony up more than $200M for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:40 pm 
sassy molassy

How much did Edmonton City council pony up for their Golf Club Arena/Ice District?

Did the province give them anything?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:38 pm 
Serious Cat

Funding breakdown, as I read it:

The City: $200 million (the Fieldhouse)
The Flames (as their corporate entity) $200 million
The Loan (repaid from ticket tax) $250 million
Community Revitalization Levy $240 million
(what it is: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/risky-business-as-canadian-cities-turn-to-neighbourhood-levies-1.3079392)

Unknown cost: site cleanup, anywhere from $50 million to $300 million, no idea of funding source. The above amounts do not include site remediation cost.

So basically half of the funding will be financed, with repayment of these loans financed by the Flames (through ticket sales) and by the City (through borrowing against their increased tax revenue)

"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness." -- Ron Swanson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:41 pm 
Serious Cat

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/watc ... t-project/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:55 pm 
sassy molassy

http://calgarynext.com/index.php

Fancy pics and junk on the website. Based on Twitter comments looks like we are approximately 8 years out from this being a reality. And Ken King says there is no Plan B.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:10 pm 
Serious Cat

Five years is what KK said would be moving forward "at a gallop".

Nenshi banged his drum and spooked the horse though, so 7-8 years might be closer to reality.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:54 am 
sassy molassy

I asked Darren Hayes yesterday on the ol' Twitter and he said 5 years to break ground, 3 to construct. So the 5 years includes all the political grand standing and tail fluffing I think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:06 am 
Serious Cat

Whoever Darren Hayes is - he knows fuck all. (I assume you meant Darren Haynes)

Site cleanup could take anywhere from two to five years (anyone who can give a more exact estimate right now is a fucking liar) never mind getting confirmed funding from the City (at least a year - to next budget cycle) land use / environmental approvals (at least six months, probably closer to eighteen) and actual construction (three years).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:41 pm 
sassy molassy

That is what I meant, yes.